The goal of this unit is to preclude or reduce the negative impact of drug and alcohol abuse on the individual, family and the community at large.
Prevention programming, both School & Community based, is available to any interested schools, community groups, religious groups, community coalitions or employers in the Carbon, Monroe and Pike county areas.
School Based Services include:
- Drug & Alcohol Policy and Curriculum Development;
- Student Assistance Program (SAP) Team Support;
- Drug & Alcohol Screening and Assessments;
- Individual and Group Education and Intervention Services for Students;
- Beginning Alcohol & Addictions Basic Education Studies (B.A.B.E.S.) - Is a 2nd grade course that teaches and encourages personal health, respect for laws and rules regarding drugs and alcohol. The program promotes drug free and healthy living, good decision making skills, coping skills and how to access help;
- Teacher In-Services for Drug & Alcohol Education and Awareness; and
- Children Of Substance Abusers Programming (COSA).
Evidence Based Curricula:
- Mind Over Matter - This series is designed to encourage young people in grades 6-9 to learn about the effects of drug abuse on the body and brain; and
- Brain Power - An interactive science education program for students in grades 3-5 to explore the human brain and the effects of drugs on the brain.
Community Based Programs:
- Employee Assistance Program Education (EAP);
- EAP Consultation/Technical Assistance;
- Drug & Alcohol Community Needs Assessment; and
- Town Hall Meetings to promote action and awareness.
Tobacco Prevention Services
The Commission is a sub-contractor charged with the responsibility to implement a tobacco prevention program in Carbon County.
The goals of the project are:
- Preventing the initiation of Tobacco use
- Eliminating nonsmokers exposure to tobacco smoke pollution